Grange Workers Activities (GWA) Committee Report
I wish to thank our Worthy Master Susan Noah for the appointment as GWA Director for another year. This year the GWA District Chairs and I supported the GrangeUp ’17 program by delivering the Grange boxes to Granges in our areas. What a great opportunity to visit with other Grangers and to find out what GWA is doing around the state.
Our one and only National Quilt Block entry from 2016 was sent to National, and I’m pleased to announce that Oregon won first place. The quilt block was made by Jeanne Taylor from Spencer Creek #855.
Diane Parrott and Mary Parrott attended the State Directors meeting in Lincoln City in October as I was in New Zealand visiting our daughter. In January I attended the State Officers, Directors and District Chairmen’s conference in Eugene. We learned about the GrangeUp ’17 program and selected the Granges to visit.
This year I have no recipients for the two GWA scholarships. Please read the guidelines carefully. Remember this scholarship is for someone who has completed one year of college. The applicant cannot have received this scholarship before.
This year we added a few new contests to our program: Bar Cookies for Juniors sponsored by Linda Pugh, Apron contest for Juniors sponsored by Marilyn Reiher, and Paper Craftsmanship for Cards sponsored by Clarkes #261. Thank you to all the Granges and Grangers who sponsor our GWA contests.
Thank you to Amalgamated Sugar (White Satin) for their continued support of our baking contests by donating sugar for door prizes.
I want to thank by husband Jim for his support and help. I want to thank Susan Dumolt and Sally Clute for their continued support of the GWA conference at the State Convention by having a craft to do. This year they designed a necklace for the National Grange’s 150th Birthday. I also want to thank Bud Dumolt for making stands for displaying the canning contest entries.
Thank you to the Districts Chairmen for all they do to promote the GWA program. They did a great job visiting Granges and helping where needed. They also work very hard at convention; thank you ladies.
Margaret Clute, Director, Oregon State Grange GWA Committee
GWA State Contests
All contests are open to members and non-members. Each contestant can have only one entry per category. All entries must be labeled with the contest, category, entrant’s name, complete address, email, phone, Grange name and number, and county. For non-members, please supply your sponsoring member’s name and Grange. Use this handy contest entry form or make your own label following this template.
All entries must be received in the GWA room at the Florence Event Center no later than noon on Sunday June 25.
The Oregon State Grange GWA Committee will secure judges for all contests. After judging, baked goods and candies will be placed on the GWA sale table. The GWA contest room will be open before and after State Grange is in session and during lunch and other break times.
National Grange Quilt Block Contest
- The National Grange Quilt Block Contest is open to both members and prospective members.
- A 2017 Quilt Block Contest Submission Form must be completed for each block entered.
- State Judging: Entries received in the GWA room at the Florence Event Center no later than noon on Sunday June 25 will be judged to determine Oregon’s winners. The 1st place winner in each group will be sent to National Grange for judging. Second and third place winners will receive ribbons.All quilt blocks not sent to National will be retained and used to make an item for the oral auction to benefit the GWA Committee.
- National Judging: Oregon’s first place winner in each group will be sent to the National Grange judging. Anyone may send entries directly to the National Grange contest. All contest submissions must be received by the National Grange Lecturer by October 31, 2017. Send your blocks with submission forms to: Christine Hamp, National Lecturer, 16418 N. Birdie Rd, Nine Mile Falls, WA 99026
- Grange Worker Activities Scholarship Application must be postmarked to the State GWA Director no later than May 1.
Grange Workers Activities Committee
925 Gales Creek Rd
Forest Grove, OR 97116
08087 Fiddle Creek Rd
Westlake, OR 97493
40370 Deerhorn Rd
Springfield, OR 97478
11860 SW 91st Ave
Tigard, OR 97223
8502 S Oster Rd
Woodburn, OR 97071
PO Box 2294
LaPine, OR 97739
63232 Scotch Creek Rd
Enterprise, OR 97828
5140 Crusher Dr
Parkdale, OR 97041
Send feedback to email@example.com