Deaf Awareness and Family Health
2019 DAFH Director
Deaf Awareness Resources
- Dogs for the Deaf DVD
- Looking for a Compatible Cell Phone?
- Cochlear Implants
- Hear It Is! Hearing Loss Association of Oregon newsletter
- The Ear: the mechanics of how ears function and assistive technology for the hearing impaired; contact the DAFH committee for the PowerPoint version
- Your Guide to Better Hearing
- Your Guide to Hearing Aides
- What You Need to Know about Hearing Aids
- Deafness at Birth: Daily Maintenance & Use of Hearing Aids
- How LOUD is it
- Facts about Noise-Induced Hearing Loss
Dogs for Better Lives
Dogs for the Deaf is now Dogs for Better Lives. The 503(3)(c) no longer focuses solely on enabling hardly hearing and deaf people to live more independently in their homes and communities. They are also placing assistance dogs with those with autism and in classrooms or other programs where a dog can provide calm.
Granges have a long history of supporting this organization. Donations are always appreciated.
Although the Oregon State Grange and National Grange Youth Departments sponsor the Sign-A-Song contest, it is open to Grange members of any age. The National Grange also sponsors a Sign-A_Song contest for Juniors ages 5 through 14.
William Ireland Deaf Awareness Achievement Awards
Although achievement awards are sponsored by the Youth Department, members of any age are eligible to earn them. A Sapphire award can be earned for learning the manual alphabet, an Emerald award for designing a deaf awareness program or display, and a Silver award for signing a song. There are five William Ireland Deaf Awareness Achievement Awards in all.
Deaf Awareness Grants
The National Grange Foundation awards Deaf Awareness Grants of up to $500 to three State Granges each year. The Foundation is looking for projects that have an impact on deaf education and involve members working with deaf community. The State Grange applies for a Subordinate/Community or Pomona Grange. The application deadline is in early May.
Deaf Awareness and Family Health Committee
Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org